With Keller Williams Central RI - Prepare for Your Open Hous
Prepare for Your Open House
Is your house ready for showtime? To make a great first impression on potential buyers, start by looking at your home—inside and outside—through the eyes of a buyer. In fact, for the optimum open house experience, you should aim to appeal to all five of a buyer’s senses.
1-3 Days Before the Open House
Spend the day or two before the open house giving your home a thorough cleaning inside and out. As a general rule, repair anything that is broken or remove it from sight. Also remove any items you will not need until after your move—when it comes to showing your home, less is more.
- Remove all yard clutter.
- Prune bushes, remove weeds and apply fresh mulch to garden beds.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Ensure gutters and downspouts are clean and firmly attached.
- Clean your home’s exterior, including the front door. Remove any cobwebs or nests.
- Tighten and clean all door handles.
- Ensure the house number is clearly visible.
- Remove excessive wall hangings, furniture, and knickknacks. Consider a temporary self-storage unit.
- Clean or paint walls and ceilings.
- Shampoo carpets.
- Clean and organize cabinets and closets.
- Repair any plumbing leaks, including faucets and drain traps.
- Clean all light fixtures and ensure all light bulbs are working.
- Clean all light fixtures.
- Eliminate the source of any unpleasant smells. If you have pets, consider boarding them until after the open house. Avoid cooking foods with strong odors. Throw out the trash.
The Day of the Open House
You should plan to vacate your home during the open house; potential buyers often do not feel comfortable exploring a home with the homeowner present. Give your house a last-minute walk through before you leave.
- Mow the lawn.
- Ensure the driveway and walkways to the front door are clear and easy to navigate.
- Keep the driveway and curb in front of the home clear for visitor parking
- Dust wood surfaces.
- Shine metal or glass surfaces.
- Let in the light—turn on lamps or open drapes and shades.
- Turn on soft music.
- Dispose of any trash.
- Lock up valuables or take them with you.
- If weather permits, open the windows to let in fresh air.
- If rain or snow is predicted, place a doormat at the entry for visitors to wipe their feet, and an umbrella stand or can.
Search With Keller Williams Central RI - Prepare for Your Open Hous Homes for Sale
Today's Market Trends for With Keller Williams Central RI - Prepare for Your Open Hous *
* All data pertains to single-family homes